It was just yesterday we got the notification via Yahoo News that the movie “How Stella Got Her Groove Back“ hit theatres on August 14, 1998, which would make it 20 years since it’s release.
If you are feeling old hearing all this it’s probably because you are .. and you’re not alone.
Watch the Breakdown (Drake Voice) | About the Movie
The movie stars Angela Bassett as Stella, a divorced mom and high-powered San Francisco trader who, as the movie opens, is promising a client a guaranteed 65 percent return on some Russian bonds. Her personal life is lonely, and her sisters advise her to find a man. I’m thinking–if those returns are real, the man will find you.
medianet_width = “300”;
medianet_height = “250”;
medianet_crid = “555972351”;
medianet_versionId = “111299”;
var isSSL = ‘https:’ == document.location.protocol;
var mnSrc = (isSSL ? ‘https:’ : ‘http:’) + ‘//contextual.media.net/nmedianet.js?cid=8CU3G4D0M’ + (isSSL ? ‘&https=1’ : ”);
Now, with formalities out the way, the title holds a keyword that unlocks a great mystery bu using the word “back“. If she got something back, wouldn’t it mean she lost it? Yup, Stella lost her groove and in the attempt to get it back, she flew to the place where all middle-aged American women go to get their Groove back — JAMAICA! We came up with a few ways how she not only lost her groove but got it back!
- Stella lost her groove after the divorce — In an attempt to hide this pain, she dove head-on into working so hard as a high earning stockbroker that her love life became D.O.A and often used work as an excuse to not finding a man.
- She got her groove back by doing something out of her comfort zone by flying to Jamaica to in her words “All I came to do was Run, read, relax and roll-over” to meet-up with the outgoing Delilah who is seemingly more fun-loving but has secrets of her own.
- She got some braids sis! We can’t talk about this movie without mention of her braids! Braids are the universal style for a Jamaican vacation and the usually uptight Stella got braids and let her hair down –literally!
- By getting with a younger man, the minute Stella laid eyes on Winston (Taye Diggs) a 20 something “Jamaican” man (with a bad accent) it was lust at first sight.. though she was her cold, bitchy self. For the first time in a long time, she was not in charge.
- She also in the same breath lost her groove by hooking up with a 20 something-year-old who could literally be her son! Winston’s mother made it very clear how low of a human Stella was for sleeping with her young son.
- She didn’t give a fudge what people thought about her! Going to Jamaica must have given Stella superpowers, as the usually uptight and cold personality went down by at least 10% as she continued the fling with Winston who later proposed.
Having an event? Invite us